COVID-19 has brought new challenges and obstacles in each of our lives. The closure of schools and businesses throughout our country is a cause of concern for many. Here are some resources and information that may be of assistance to you and your families during this difficult time. This page will be updated as we become aware of new opportunities.
General & Regional Resources:
- Protect Yourself: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html
- Manage Anxiety & Stress: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/managing-stress-anxiety.html
New York State Department of Health Novel Coronavirus Hotline: 1-888-364-3065
- Basic Needs: https://211lifeline.org/taxonomy.php?&tax=B
- Emergency Food: https://211lifeline.org/taxonomy.php?&tax=BD&tax=BD-1800
- Emergency Shelter: https://211lifeline.org/taxonomy.php?&tax=BH&tax=BH-1800
- Income Support: https://211lifeline.org/taxonomy.php?&tax=N
- Individual & Family Support Services: https://211lifeline.org/taxonomy.php?&tax=P&tax=PH
- Mental Health: https://211lifeline.org/taxonomy.php?&tax=R
- Child Care: http://www.211wny.org/search/?type=form&keyword=child+care&zipcode=
- Emergency Shelter: http://www.211wny.org/search/common/housing-17/?type=common&code=BH-1800
- Food Pantries: http://www.211wny.org/search/common/food-nutrition-13/?type=common&code=BD-1800.2000
- Mental Health Crisis Intervention: http://www.211wny.org/search/common/mental-health-19/?type=common&code=RP-1500
- Pregnancy & Early Parenting: http://www.211wny.org/search/common/pregnancy-early -parenting-15/?type=common&code=BM-6500.1500-150
Aunt Bertha* – search for nonprofits and reduced cost services by zip code.
Economic Resources (National & Regional)
Buffalo Niagara Partnership – Resources for Buffalo Niagara businesses.
Coronavirus Tax Relief – IRS resources.
New York RX Card – Pharmacy discounts for all residents of New York State.
New York State Department of Labor – Unemployment insurance, job openings, and other information.
- How to File a Claim: https://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/how_to_file_claim.shtm
Social Security Administration – Coronavirus updates.
Food Assistance Search by Region
FeedMoreWNY – Provides food for families in Niagara, Erie, Cattaraugus, and Chautauqua counties.
Food Bank of the Southern Tier – Provides food for families in Broome, Chemung, Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga, and Tompkins counties.
FoodLink – Provides food for underserved families in Allegany, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, Wyoming, and Yates counties.
- FoodLink Quarantine Boxes – available at select locations: https://personcenteredservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Quarantine-Boxes.pdf
Salvation Army – Empire State Division – Meeting human needs across 48 counties in Upstate New York and Sayre, Pennsylvania. Social service hubs are located in Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse.
Intellectual & Developmental Disability Support (Regional & National)
The ABCs of Autism – COVID-19 Social Story.
AutismUp – Offices closed; presenting remote and virtual opportunities.
CDC American Sign Language – COVID-19 Informational Videos featuring a certified interpreter.
David’s Refuge – Weekend respite care in Monroe, Ontario, and Seneca counties.
Let’s Talk About the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Video – A social narrative developed by the University of Miami-Nova Southeastern University Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (UM-NSU CARD).
Little Puddins: The Autism Educator – Coronavirus Social Story.
Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatments (MOLST) – COVID-19 Guidance.
National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals – COVID-19 tools.
National Down Syndrome Society – Fact sheet.
National Task Group on Intellectual Disabilities and Dementia Practices – COVID-19 & Down Syndrome Q&A.
New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities – Important updates for individuals, families, and caregivers.
Parent Network of Western New York – Links to COVID-19 resources for families, including families of children with developmental disabilities.
Regional Center for Independent Living – Special link to resources for Allegany, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Yates, Wayne, and Wyoming counties: https://personcenteredservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Community-Resources-2.pdf
The Arc– COVID-19 Resource Page.
We Need to Stay Healthy – COVID-19 Social Story by by Benjamin Donson MSED BCBA.
Learning From Home (National)
Technology (Regional & National)
Spectrum – Free Broadband & WiFi For Students (1-844-488-8395)
Transportation by Region
Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority – Coronavirus updates for public transportation in Niagara and Erie counties.
Regional Transit Authorities – Bus fares waived temporarily for Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, and Wyoming counties.
*NOTE: Organizations found on 211 WNY, Aunt Bertha, or Pantry Locator may or may not have the capacity to assist during this time. Please call any resources identified in advance to determine if they have the services or items you require.
Click here for helpful resources individual to the 18 counties we serve.
- “Coronavirus and Your Money” (NY Times)
- “How to Get Food During the Pandemic” (The Atlantic)
- “If you don’t have Clorox or Lysol, here’s what you can use to clean your home” (News 5 Cleveland)
- “What to Do if You’re Laid Off Due to Coronavirus” (NBC)
- “What You Need to Know About Unemployment Insurance” (NY Times)
- “Need help with food or child care? Here’s what Monroe County and Rochester are offering” (Rochester Democrat and Chronicle)